The Piarist Order founded in the 17th century opened its first school in Pest in 1717. They moved to the building to be found in Pesti Barnabás Street in 1917, but then it had to be abandoned in 1953 following its socialisation. From 1954 onwards Eötvös Loránd University occupied the building. Finally, following state compensation, the entire complex was handed back to the Piarist Order.


usage of the building

  • an educational centre can be found within the building-complex (for secondary and higher level studies)
  • shops for prestige brands have been constructed on the ground floor of the façade facing Váci Street
  • a high-standard restaurant-cafeteria is under construction on the Danube front, which can expand towards the March 15 Square in the summertime
  • offices which meet the highest quality demands established on the top two floors of the building



educational and study centre in the heart of the city

  • The building’s primary function is that of an educational institution housing the Sapientia High School and the highly reputed Piarist
    Secondary School of Budapest. Thus the
    building epitomises knowledge.
  • It is a classical building with the most
    modern architectural and mechanical
    solutions. The building with its present
    look has been a representative feature
    of the city centre since the beginning of
    the 20th century. As a result of the
    present project the inner spaces and the
    variety of services provided by the
    building will be improved to meet the
    demands of the third millennium. Thus
    the building also conveys the impression
    of modern services in a classical setting.